Sunday, September 30, 2007

The ambassador's reception


Saturday night I invited over some of the guys from work for a meal to say thank you for all they've done during my time here. Four of them were brave enough to run the risk with my cooking: Pratim, Sneh, Ramiswami (pictured left to right) and Mathew.

We had a great evening, even if poor Sneh had to join me in the kitchen to get things back on schedule. We were all a bit merry and had a good laugh. We discussed such things as the random warning signs the department for transport put up by the road side, warning drivers to slow down. Such classics include reminders that "Your loving family is waiting for you at home" and "We have given you sufficient warning". I wouldn't be surprised if they've put one halfway down the cliff on the other side of the crash barriers saying "Told you so".


As I was typing this I suddenly became aware of a presence behind me and, turning, I saw three kids right at my shoulder, not 3 inches away from me, gazing at the screen. Surreal, and a bit spooky. They've started blowing party poppers now and generally running around causing havoc - so much for getting my head down today!

No comments: