Sunday, September 16, 2007

MARCH OF THE MONKEYS

Saturday and Sunday I went for walks around the local area. Sunday I did an especially long walk, about 15-20km. It really is the most beautiful countryside, very lush and green because of the temperate climate. In some areas it smells really strongly of tea, which may or may not be due to the tea plantations that abound everywhere. Good job they don't have bacon plantations, or I'd be constantly hungry.



On Saturday I came across a gang of monkeys up to no good. They were climbing all over this guy's house, swinging from his cables and generally causing havoc. Those cheeky monkeys do like their mischief! After they had finished destroying his house, they all crossed the road. Whoever can supply a good punchline to "why did the dozen monkeys cross the road?" wins a prize.


On Sunday I came across some more monkeys. These monkeys were slightly more conventional, if less domestic, swinging about in trees, eating bananas and - erm, how shall I say this? - getting up to monkey business with each other (and by that I mean business of the carnal nature, I don't mean they were buying stocks and shares in banana companies and trading peanuts with each other).



I also met some local village guys on Sunday. They asked me all sorts of questions. Well, actually, they asked me about 3 questions, but each of them asked each question 3 times each. "Where are you from?" England "What is your name?" Mike "You like here?" Yes it's very beautiful "What's your name?" Still Mike "You like here?" Yes, it's peaceful "Where you from?" Swaziland ... and so on. Still, they were very friendly and insisted I take their photograph.
So, all in all a good weekend, and I'll finish on a monkey note. On Saturday Mathew (from work) invited me for lunch at his place. He told me he was writing an information leaflet for the government on "Participatory Guarantee" schemes. Barely containing myself, I suggested he call it "PG tips" - well, I laughed anyway....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you see this one, stay away...

http://wickedstageact2.typepad.com/life_on_the_wicked_stage_/WindowsLiveWriter/SundayMorningReadingGoatsandMonkeys_8C07/gm1%5B4%5D_1.jpg