Thursday, September 27, 2007

A balanced perspective

Last night on my way home from work I thought for one moment I had inadvertently stumbled upon the "World Head Balancing Championships- Freestyle Category". Rounding a corner, I was confronted by a lady who was walking downhill down a muddy slope balancing a 6' by 2' piece of corrugated iron on top of her head, on top of which was half a bag of cement. Hot in pursuit, and trying to outdo her rival, came a second lady with about half a dozen huge logs tied in a bundle on her head.

The first lady, I decided, outscored her rival on the "Variety of Items Carried" front. The second round, "Weight Load", was a draw between the two. In a tense finale, the second lady tied the match by scoring a maximum in the "Discomfort" category (they were very knotty pieces of wood). I decided that a "build-off" would be a suitable way to decide the tie. A wooden shelter would be no match for a corrugated iron and cement structure, I reasoned, so I duly proclaimed the first lady the winner of the inaugural World Head Balancing Championships - Freestyle Category.

No comments: